This past Monday was my first wedding anniversary! I honestly cannot believe how time has flown. Last year for our honeymoon Charlie and I stayed at Clearwater Beach in Florida! So this year we decided to go to a different (and significantly cheaper) yet very close destination to Clearwater in Florida– Indian Shores Beach. It’s just 9 miles south of Clearwater and it has a more small-town beach community feel. We got to reminesce in Clearwater, of course, and walk on Pier 60 which was a prime spot for our vacation just a year ago. But I must admit, Indian Shores is such a cute place sandwiched between bigger beach spots, which make this place a hidden gem.
One of the meals I made this week was probably one of the yummiest Mexican meals I’ve ever created. (I know, it’s a big statement.) I was surprised at how much flavor there was even though the recipe is quite simple. But maybe the simplicity of it is what makes it so finger-licking good. Here it is…
The one qualm my husband and I have had since dinner is how to eat it…so someone please put this to rest. I just want to know what the creator of the tostada had in mind…
How do you eat a tostada?
a. Eat it like a pizza
b. Fold it & eat it like a taco
c. Eat it like a giant nacho
So, tell us how to eat a tostada because it’s obviously confusing business.
Refried Black Beans:
- 1 can black beans
- ½ cup pico salsa
- ½ chopped onion
- 1 tsp salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp chili powder
Guacamole, Salad & the rest:
- 2 ripe avocados
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- 2 tsp salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- juice from 3 limes
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- ½ cup Mexican crumbling cheese (aka cojita or fresca)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- 4-6 corn tortillas
- Guacamole: Dice avocados and place in a small mixing bowl. Add juice from one lime and stir to completely coat all avocado pieces (this will prevent the avocados from browning). Gently mash the avocado mixture until it is at the desired consistency. Add salt, a couple cranks of black pepper, cilantro, and onion. Refrigerate while you cook the rest!
- Black Beans: In a medium saute pan over medium heat, pour 1 tbsp of olive oil. When heated and the olive oil moves like water in the pan when moved, add the chopped onion. Once translucent, add salt, pepper, paprika, and chili powder to the onions. Saute for about a minute. Then add the entire can of black beans with bean liquid and the salsa to the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil and then lower heat to simmer. Stir mixture constantly while mashing some of the beans until it comes to a thicker consistency, about 5-8 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Lay corn tortillas flat on a cookie sheet and brush lightly with olive oil. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until crispy.
- Salad: whisk together juice from 2 remaining limes, white wine vinegar, honey, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a medium mixing bowl. Add chopped romaine, spinach, and crumbling cheese to the bowl and stir to coat.
- Assembly: Put corn tortillas on the bottom and layer first with black beans, then guacamole, then salad. Serve alongside tortilla chips or, better yet, my delish chili cilantro lime rice (recipe here)!
I hope you enjoy it as much as we did! Except the fact that you probably aren’t vacationing at the beach…which is ten times more enjoyable to eat while sipping on a margarita, I must admit. But hey, this can be a little weekday getaway meal for you! Here’s a little sunset beauty to get your getaway juices flowing!
Inspiration for this meal– here. Thanks Naturally Ella!