Pizza is the ultimate crowd pleaser. Especially in my house! But frozen pizzas don’t taste fresh and delivery can be loaded with hidden salt and oil. Let’s admit that sometimes delivery can’t be beat when you’ve had a long day or you’ve been eating healthy all week and you want to indulge. So, sometimes the greasy stuff is where it’s at. But on a more regular basis…this is the bomb pizza recipe with less grease and a little more wholesomeness!
- Pizza dough (I used the kind found in the refrigerated section of the grocery store)
- 1 28oz can of whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 ball of fresh mozzarella
- A couple sprigs of fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 cloves chopped garlic
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt (plus more to taste)
- fresh black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450°
- Roll out pizza dough on a lightly floured surface and stretch it onto a greased pizza stone or circular pizza pan.
- Pour olive oil n a medium sized sauce pan over medium heat. Add garlic to the pan and only cook for about a minute.
- Add can of whole peeled tomatoes to the pan with the salt & a couple cranks of black pepper. Bring the mixture to a soft boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer tomatoes and garlic for about 15 minutes.
- While you wait for the tomatoes to do their magic, thinly slice the mozzarella and roughly chop the fresh basil.
- Add dried basil, oregano, thyme to the tomatoes. Continue to simmer for about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the sauce into a blender (or food processor) but reserve some of the liquid. As you blend the mixture together into sauce consistency, you can choose to add some of the liquid back. I like my sauce on the chunky side, so I left about ½ cup out.
- Assemble! Pour the desired amount sauce onto your prepared pizza dough and top with fresh mozzarella & basil.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the crust is brown.
I reserved 2 small mason jars full of pizza sauce for next time! Trust me; this sauce is finger-licking-good.