It’s the most perfect food union: Bananas + Peanut Butter.
When I woke up this morning I was in the mood for a breakfast something that included these two of my favorite things. What first came to mind when thinking about this craving was when I was in college. One of my best friends and I used to make banana peanut butter oatmeal for breakfast, and we liked it so much that we made it probably for breakfast for a couple weeks straight. We ate that for breakfast so often that, needlesstosay, I haven’t had banana peanut butter oatmeal since. But this morning…I was in the mood for it.
My precious husband had a morning commitment, which left me plenty of time to come up with a mastermind of all matermind creations without a hungry man pestering me about when it would be finished. Hungriness is a constant male condition. Anyways, here’s what I came up with…
Caramelized Banana Peanut Butter Bars with Cream Cheese Filling
Makes 6 squares
- 1 ½ cup quick cooking oats
- ¼ cup brown sugar + 3 tbsp
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup wheat bran
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 large bananas (sliced)
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp honey
- ¼ cup creamy natural peanut butter
Cream Cheese Filling:
- 8 oz. cream cheese @ room temp
- 2 tbsp creamy natural peanut butter
- 1 tbsp honey
1. Caramelize bananas: In a medium skillet melt 1 tbsp butter and then add 3 tbsp of brown sugar. Toss in sliced bananas. Let them cook untouched for about a minute and then flip them over and let them cook for an additional minute. Pour in ¼ cup orange juice and stir in until combined. Let the sauce cook for another minute or two. Set aside to cool completely.
2. Mix together dry ingredients: oats, brown sugar, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and wheat bran.
3. Add milk, honey, vanilla, caramelized bananas, and peanut butter to the dry ingredients.
4. Pour mixture into a greased 9 x 13 pan and bake @ 350° for 15-20 minutes.
6. Prepare filling: Using a wisk attachment on your mixer, cream the cream cheese on high until smooth. Add peanut butter and honey.
7. Dollop filling on top of 6 of the squares and smooth out evenly. Finally, add a same size square on top and DIG IN!
(These bars are delicious at room temperature, but they are even better after refridgerating for a couple of hours! Make them the night before and they would be perfect by breakfast time! If you can wait that long…)