Recently, our church held a church-wide 21 day fast. You know what that means: its a give-up-what-you-really-don’t-want-to-give-up mental game. I had to make the much unwanted decision to give up what would be the most challenging: sweets. Surprise, surprise.
As soon as it was over I was scouring Pinterest for something that would satisfy my much deprived sweet tooth…when I stumbled upon this recipe for: Chocolate Molten Lava Cake. I mean, who can resist that?! Its like the perfect combo of warm and chocolatey paired with melting ice cream and a reese’s hard shell. You just can’t beat it.
So here’s the recipe:
Adapted from: Chili’s Copy-cat Chocolate Molten Lava Cake
- 4oz Semi-Sweet Chocolate (chips will do!)
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 egg- YOLK ONLY
- 6 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- a dash of sea salt (optional)
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Reese’s Magic Shell
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In a microwave safe bowl combine chocolate and butter. Microwave for 1 minute and 20 seconds. Whisk until the chocolate has melted and is smooth.
3. Add the powdered sugar and whisk till combined.
4. Add the 3 WHOLE eggs and 1 egg YOLK, whisk till combined.
5. Add 6 tbsp of flour and whisk until combined again.
6. Generously spray 4 small (1 cup) ramekins with cooking spray, and then fill with batter.
7. Bake on a cookie sheet in the oven for 13-15 minutes until the outer edges are set and the center is soft set.
8. Remove from oven and let cool for 2-3 minutes before inverting onto a plate.
9. Top each cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and then drizzle on the Magic Shell.
My husband claims that these babies are “better than Chili’s!!”
So in the spirit of Valentine’s Day tomorrow…go make your loved one something that is CRAZY good but so easy! And if you don’t have a loved one nearby…eat all four of them. No one will judge you.